Tuesday 28 November 2017

Molasses: A Finished Quilt

A long time ago, on an Instagram feed far far away, I saw Pen and Paper Patterns post about her garden snail quilt and I was instantly in love. Then I found out that Gnome Angel was going to do a slow sew-along and I conned my friend C over at The Edgy Perfectionist to join in (and I talked Jen at A Quarter Inch from the Edge to do it too...but she ran out of steam. I think having twins might have contributed to that!).

Each week I made one snail using a different Lizzy House fabric and posted my snail to my Instagram. At the end of 42 weeks I had 42 adorable snails and with a little sashing (and a big score of long OOP Lizzy House for the backing) I now have a finished quilt!

Here is Molasses:


Each snail shell is different, but all prints are by Lizzy House.

I like how the wind shows you the back and front in this shot.

The backing is this Castle Peeps fabric from 2004. Thank goodness for strange outlet fabric stores that carry such treasures (I think it cost me maybe $10/yard?)

I did organic (my term for I didn't want to measure) straight line quilting in a light grey down the quilt. It is more functional than decorative and I really like how it looks.
This quilt will be staying with me. I couldn't give it up! But I do have to note that despite using all Lizzy House I have not made even the slightest dent into my stash. What a shame.

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on the finish. It was fun watching your collection of snails grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just darling! I love the snail pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! on your newly completed quilt. PERFECT name for it!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great snail quilt. Love the Molasses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt, and a perfect name!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful - and I like how you have arranged the colours together instead of "random".

    ReplyDelete