Sunday 13 December 2015

Pretty in Purple: A Finished Quilt

This will, I am 99% sure, be my last quilt finished in 2015. A group of my friends, together for the last fifteen years or so, all have children around the same ages. I've been working through the families, ensuring each child has a quilt. This one is for a little girl, L, who is one year younger than my older daughter. She is a spunky, vibrant little person who loves purple. I wanted to make her a quilt that would appeal to her now (at age 6) but not immediately be too childish by the time she is "too cool" at age 11 or 12.

I used a pattern I've used once before, for my daughter's grade one teacher's thank you quilt, and I went with a bunch of purples from my stash. I tried to do a bit of a gradient thing where half of the quilt is bluey-purple and half is pinky-purple. I also added a white border on the top and bottom to better fit her twin-sized bed.

Here it is, Pretty in Purple!

It is bound in lilac Pearl Bracelets from my stash, and features some OOP Lizzy House, Riley Blake Chevrons, Kate Spain, a very Far, Far Away unicorns, Coton+Steel, Tula Pink, Lotta Jansdotter and some Amy Butler. Quite a mix in here!

Purple is one of my least favourite colours to work with, and this quilt had to grow on me. It is still not even close to my favourite, but I think a certain little girl will like it!

The back is mostly this print I picked up super cheap from Sew Sisters awhile back (I think it is an Art Gallery print?), plus bits of other purples from the front. I don't love it, honestly, and if I ever have to do another purple quilt I will stick to EITHER bluey purple OR pinky purple. Lesson learned!
With this quilt finished (and ready for the little girl's birthday the weekend before Christmas) I now have two more children to make quilts for in this group (out of 11 kids, that's not too shabby!).

Looking forward to finishing up my daughter's I-Spy quilt, hopefully in time for her mid-January birthday. Wish me sewing time this Christmas season!!



4 comments:

  1. You did a great job. I'm sure she'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the colour purple. Really is my least favourite colour. However, I think your quilt looks great and I'm sure your friends daughter will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks awesome! Congrats on the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is awesome! As always, I want to take a long drive and steal your stash. SO many good things in there! This is crisp and lovely. It will definitely grow with her!

    ReplyDelete