Wednesday 13 January 2016

WIP Wednesday: Am I Sticking to It?

The year is underway and I have been sneaking in sanity sewing where I can. Some much needed time was given to me by my wonderful husband last weekend so I was able to get quite a lot accomplished from my 2016 list.

I worked steadily on my Welcome to Canada quilt. This is an action shot...it is twin sized now and the backing is even prepped. I want to try to get this one done fairly soon so I can donate it to a local project for new Syrian refugees to the Toronto area.
This really shows the colourful side of this quilt..I did several tone-on-tone whites and greys in the middle, then back to cascading colour. All will be revealed when it is done!
I pressed, chopped and did the lay out for my husband's cousin's quilt. I now have the rows sewn together, and now I have to sew those together to make the quilt top. It is a simple tumbler pattern using 5x5" squares which is a quick but visually appealing look.
I like the colours in this quilt. They haven't found out the sex of the baby, so I'm hoping this will work either way!
My daughter's birthday is today, and no, her I-Spy quilt is definitely not done. But all the sashing in the middle is done...just two sides to add and the quilt top will be finished. I have the fabric for the backing (from Heather Ross' Tiger Lily line) but it is not pieced yet. Progress is progress though!
The sashing is my second-least favourite part of quilting, but it is fun to see the quilt top coming together. The sashing also, unfortunately, reveals all my piecing and seam errors since they don't line up perfectly. I still love it and I don't think my toddler will notice!
Overall I think I am doing well sticking to my goals. I also haven't bought any fabric in 2016. I can't promise I'll be able to say THAT much longer. :)

4 comments:

  1. If one asks, "Am I sticking to it?" in our house, there is likely to be something on the floor. And by something, I mean something gross. Sorry, that was pretty graphic. I love both the design and the sentiment behind your Welcome to Canada quilt. The I Spy looks great. Who doesn't want a quilt top for their birthday? Then she can have the finished quilt for her half birthday. And thumbs up for not buying any fabric yet. I've heard that it takes 21 days to break/form a habit, you're 62% there. Keep on keepin' on, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the sewing progress. Such bright colours. I'm hoping to get sewing done this weekend at our Sew Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea - your welcome to Canada quilt will surely be cherished by the lucky recipient! You've made amazing progress on your projects so far - it's still pretty early in the year! Congrats on sticking to the no fabric purchase resolution - I made the same one, and failed abysmally last week (won't say any more about it - but hanging my head in shame!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the I spy quilt. It's so cute. I too like the colors you are using for your husband's cousin - they look great.

    ReplyDelete