Sunday 23 December 2012

Auditioning Borders and Getting Fat Quarters in the Mail

I have been feverishly working on completing a quilt for my mother-in-law's birthday (which was the 17th) to give to her on the 24th at our Christmas Eve celebration. Fortunately I am finished- completed quilt post to follow- but along the way I had a terrible time choosing fabric from my stash (no time to order something new!) for the binding. I wanted it to stand out, but work with the beautiful colours in Bonnie and Camille's Vintage Modern fabric line.

Here is a shot of me auditioning binding fabrics- with the ever-present feline "helper."
The pink was my sort-of favourite in that it stood out from the turquoise houndstooth borders and the grey print on the back (from Rashida Coleman Hale). Ultimately, though, I went with something totally different, a print that hadn't occurred to me because I had pulled it for another project, so it wasn't with my stash. You'll have to wait for the post on the finished quilt to see what I ended up going with!

Also this week I got my Sew Sister Fat Quarter Club mail delivery. Hooray! The thrill of fabric in the mail is unbeatable (which probably explains my ever-growing stash).

Here was the inspiration picture:
And here are the fat quarters:
From top to bottom: Kona Amber, Kona Evergreen, Kona Wine, Kona Burgundy

The Evergreen is so dark it is almost black (as you can see in the bottom picture). The Amber looks yellow or orange depending on the lighting- which makes perfect sense for something called Amber!

I added them to my stash, and have vowed to dip into using these solids in 2013.

Hope your Christmas Eve and Christmas Day are loads of fun- we'll be busy all week long with family and friends. Look for my posts on two completed quilts!

Lynn (aka Buttons)

No comments:

Post a Comment