Tuesday 11 February 2014

Colour Collage: A Finished Quilt

This pattern, Color Block, comes from Growing Up Modern by Allison Harris of Cluck Cluck Sew. I wanted a rainbow quilt for my newest daughter's room as my older daughter has a colourful rainbow quilt in her room (also a Cluck Cluck Sew pattern!). I found the instructions very easy to follow and well written, and playing with the fabrics themselves was my favourite part.

Here she is- Colour Collage (named so because it strikes me as a collage of fabrics from my stash).

I straight-line quilted it through the centre of the fabric strips going horizontally. One person (Kymberly, a follower here at my blog) suggested doing a big spiral pattern. That is a GENIUS idea, but having never tried it before and wanting a quick finish, I went for something easier. If I make another one of these, spiral quilting is a MUST. I bound it using leftover binding (how awesome is that?)- half Lizzy House Jewels in turquoise and half Kona Jade. I love the deep teal/turquoise with the rest of the quilt.


The backing is this delightful bear fabric. I love it because it is turquoise, I got it on clearance ages ago on a shop hop, and one of the baby's nicknames is Hungry Bear. Perfect!


I am totally in love with this quilt. I told my husband I might have to leave him for it. There is something so enchanting about colour order quilts, don't you think? I can't wait to hang it in baby's nursery (the ribbons for hanging it are already on, now I just need my hubby to put the screws in the wall since I'm too short!). 

Lynn

3 comments:

  1. This is just lovely!! And those bears! So perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turned out so cute. The straight line quilting is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute your little one is very lucky I am sure it will look great hanging in the nursery.
    Cheers Pauline

    ReplyDelete