Tuesday 31 July 2012

Shhhh...Quilt for Mom

My mom realllllly wants a quilt. Her best friend of 40 years quilts (and by hand!) but has never made her a quilt. When I started quilting too,  I think she was almost ready to beg me to make her a quilt. She once said, "When are you going to let me pick fabric to make me a quilt?" I was dismissive and laughed it off, knowing I already had a plan on the go.

While at The Hobby Horse I came across this jelly roll of Dandelion Dreams fabric:


It is pinks, purples, blues, greens and creams and I think it suits my mom perfectly. I then scoured the internet, blog sites and books and found this pattern, Garden Trellis from Jelly Roll Quilts by Pam and Nicky Lintott. It is a manageable pattern for a newbie like me (I hope). It involved buying a particular triangular ruler (Omnigrid 98L) which took forever to find (eventually asked the owner at The Hobby Horse, Gail, who found one in 30 seconds).
Part of the pattern involves dividing the jelly roll into lights and darks. This is my result:
Lights
Darks
I think they look so delicious. I now have lots and lots of pinning and strip sewing to do, not to mention the tricky parts when I have to start making those triangular cuts. Eek!


Wish me luck. Oh, and don't tell my mom. It will be a Christmas present!


Lynn (aka Buttons)

No comments:

Post a Comment