Monday 24 December 2012

Modern Mom: A Finished Quilt

When I ordered six mini-charm packs of Bonnie and Camille's Vintage Modern I did not know what I was going to do with them. They were so cute! I started using them on a whim for leaders and enders and then got addicted to them. I love the look of them so much that I wanted the quilt to go to someone special. And then it occurred to me that my wonderful mother-in-law's birthday is December 17. The problem? I had all sorts of Christmas sewing still to do, and then I got very ill and did almost no sewing for a month. Let me tell you, this quilt came down the wire (I finished it December 21 to give to her December 24). I hope she LOVES it.


I learned a lot from piecing this quilt: small pieces of fabric are trickier to piece accurately, sashing is difficult to get really straight (I need to work on this one for sure) and my basting skills are still not great (the front and back never line up quite the way I intended). And I love learning while quilting- I think it is maybe one of the main reasons quilting has become so important to me. Doing something fun and learning at the same time is my ideal combination!

Here are the pictures of Modern Mom, finished!


Front of quilt

Detail of Vintage Modern blocks

Reunion fabric for binding against Turquoise Houndstooth for the borders

Back of quilt

Detail of back of quilt



I used Bonnie and Camille's Vintage Modern for the blocks, Kona White for the sashing, Rashida Coleman Hale's Squiggle Cream Grey for the backing (with a row of pieced Vintage Modern) and I ended up choosing Reunion for Sweetwater by Moda's Daisy Dates in Grey. I think it looks great with the colours of the quilt and adds a quirky, modern vibe to the quilt. 

I hope my mother-in-law gets lots of use out of it, perhaps while curled up reading her Kobo on the couch.

Have a great Christmas Eve!

Lynn (aka Buttons)

No comments:

Post a Comment