Tuesday 15 April 2014

The Dark Side: A Finished Quilt

Friends of ours have three little boys. Their mom watches my daughter when she is not in school (and has since my daughter was not even one) and so we are particularly close with this family. When this friend had her third boy last February I couldn't help myself and made him two quilts (Things That Go and Bouncing Bunnies). That April I made his brother, who is six months older than my daughter, a superhero quilt (Superhero Mashup). Three quilts later and just their eldest, who turns nine in June, is left without a quilt. I knew I wanted to fix that this year!

I ordered a Star Wars bundle when it went on sale at Fabricworm last year. It is a lot of very busy fabrics, so I struggled with which pattern to choose. Ultimately I was inspired by a Pinterest quilt I found by Debbie from A Quilter's Table. The solid star amongst the other squares give the eye a place to rest. I thought it would be perfect for this quilt. It is also a very simple pattern which I think often works best for very busy fabric.

I love how it came together. I used Kona Black for the borders and a Star Wars print from Jo Ann's that  I picked up last year sometime to bind it. The back is pretty cool because it is a single panel, bordered by black, and I think it makes the quilt reversible. I straight line quilted diagonally through the squares, stopping short of the green and blue star. For that I did a white double straight line outline around the star's points. I love how it turned out.

Here is The Dark Side:


I did square-in-square FMQ on the borders using black Aurafil, Holy cow this picture shows all the fluff! I need to give this a good roll of the lint remover before I gift it!
The panel has this really retro vibe that I love.
This little boy is special to us and I can't wait to give him this quilt. We are also including some Star Wars Lego (after all, not many nine-year-olds are exciting to receive quilts!).

Lynn 

No comments:

Post a Comment