Wednesday 18 June 2014

WIP Wednesday: Greys and Rainbows

As my baby daughter gets older I seem to be getting less time to sew. I am hoping that when my eldest daughter is in summer camp on various weeks this summer I might get some more sewing time in because I need it!

I have been working away on the two grey quilts I am making for a friend who has two little boys, 1 and 3. I don't like doing quilt math if I can avoid it, so I went with this cheat:
Plus blocks made up of 3.5" squares and then into nine-patch blocks
I took one of my daughter's sheets from her double bed, laid it out on my queen-sized bed and then put the blocks loosely on top to see what size I needed. It turned out I needed six more to get to the size I want. And I avoided some math!
The plus blocks all done. I need to do the sashing but I'm running low on Kona White, which I did have a bolt of but have already used most of to do other quilts.
On the more colourful side (which is good because all grey all the time isn't the most cheerful, even though I love the fabrics I chose) I have been cutting out the pieces for my Aviatrix Medallion quilt. IT IS TAKING FOREVER. It takes at least 30 minutes per colour to cut out all the tiny pieces and carefully place them in the appropriately marked bag. I FINALLY finished the Violet group (five colours) and have three more colour groups to go. I have my greys cut out but still need to cut out my background greys and my whites. Holy cow. I could take three months just cutting this thing out!
The Violet group. This is the set with Template 1.
I assure you, this quilt is not for the faint of heart. And quilty friend C is ahead of me in cutting and warned me about the 288 tiny Template 3 pieces that still need to be cut. What am I thinking??

Linking up with Freshly Pieced's Work in Progress Wednesdays (She's also working on the Aviatrix Medallion!)

Lynn

3 comments:

  1. For some reason, I'm not hugely a fan of quilty math either, but your cheat was pretty clever. That chevron grey block is my favorite I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love grey and plus quilts... the two together are almost more than I can resist. I've also been tempted by the Aviatrix QAL, but my plate's more than full these days. Thank you for the warning about the 288 pieces in one section... that should keep me away for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the gray plusses, but I know what you mean about needing color. Hope you find space to sew this summer and good luck with that finicky cutting!

    ReplyDelete