Friday 3 July 2015

Meow Mix: A Finished Quilt

A lovely friend and co-worker and her husband, whom I've also worked with, are expecting their first child this summer. They both wanted to find out the sex of the baby but two ultrasounds later and baby was not revealing anything. Because she's had a healthy pregnancy (knock wood) there are no more ultrasounds which means baby will be a surprise!

So when I came up with a quilt colour scheme and theme I had to go gender netural. I also know they are both crazy about cats (particularly their sweet, on-eyed rescue cat) so I thought that they would like a cat scheme. I pulled a Lizzy House print to kick off the colour scheme and then this wonderful turquoise, teal and white creation came to be. I'm totally in love with the colours and kind of want one for myself.

The pattern was inspired by this free quilt pattern on Pinterest that I found. I wanted to break up the busy patterns so I had some Kona White for some of the boxes which I think really helps visually. It wasn't quite big enough done to the pattern so I added a border.

All of this fabric came from my stash (Hooray!) including all the bits in the pieced backing.

These colours are so awesome.

This block has the Lizzy House Cat nap print that kicked off the whole colour scheme.

A few more cats. Because why not?

Teal Quatrefoil and Tula Pink? Yummy.

The larger pieces leftover from piecing the front make up the right side and then three strips of leftover yardage from my stash in various turquoise/aquas.

I quilted on either side of each joining seam plus down the middle, then one through each block in each direction, horizontal and vertical. It has just enough quilting to have a nice drape for a baby quilt.

I hope she loves this gift for baby!

2 comments:

  1. You can't go wrong with teal and turquoise. Another great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I want chicken... I want liver..." Sorry, couldn't help myself! Another lovely finish, Lynn. I love your fabric choices (as always). Honestly, someone should hire you to do curated bundles. I'd buy 'em!

    ReplyDelete