Sunday 13 January 2019

WEMQG BOM 2019

At the West End Modern Quilt Guild, my friend A has organized a Block of the Month that is going to be SO FUN.

She worked her buns off and designed this super cool block layout with all these rules to push us out of our comfort zones.


The way I plan to push myself is to take all of the blocks designed by (or at least presented by) guild members and inverse the background and patterned fabric. I also plan to use my bundle of Honeymoon fabric from Sarah Watts, a Cotton+Steel release in 2015. I love this fabric SO much but it is a really unusual mix of colours and so it doesn't really seem to "go" with other fabrics. This will put them all together into one quilt!

A offered the additional challenge for January to make it with just two fabrics.

The January block, finishing at 16", is a pain in the butt. It is a Carpenter's Wheel (also called many other things) and it has 64 pieces, many of which are HSTs. I was cursing A, trust me.

I coloured one in to see how the inverse might look, then I made myself a legend to figure out how to reverse the pattern.



Then I started my block and had it finished in time for the January meeting of the West End Modern Quilt Guild!

I am quite delighted with the inverse effect, though my seams are a little questionable. Don't look too closely!

Can't wait to see what the end quilt looks like!

2 comments: