Sunday 13 April 2014

Tranquility: A Finished Quilt

When Carolyn Friedlander's Architextures fabric line was released I knew immediately that I needed to purchase some to make my dad a quilt. He was a landscape architect before retiring and the line was perfect for him. I especially love the blue print with the circular drawings as it reminds me of when I was a child and my dad had a big drafting board set up in his office as he drew in all the plants.

I bought a jelly roll of the line and then it sat and sat. I was going to make him a quilt for his birthday in August last year but after making one for my father-in-law (A Zipper in Time) who had his 60th birthday two days before my dad's, I ran out of time. Then I wanted to make him the quilt for Christmas but got crazy busy with work and with being very pregnant and trying to finish quilts for twins.

So it was top priority in 2014 to get my dad's quilt done. I will give it to him for his birthday this August and I can rest easy knowing it is DONE.

It is lap sized for my dad's daily naps and it uses a pattern from Moda Bake Shop.

Here is Tranquility, named for my dad's landscaping company.
Front of quilt. Uses one jelly roll of Architextures and 2m of Kona White.

This pattern really works with a whole line of fabric since all the squares then have character.

The binding is the Crosshatch in Tangerine.

The backing uses some of the leftover 2.5" strips and a whole lot of the blue circle pattern.
I sort of freehand straight quilted it. Some of my lines were not so straight. Oops. Part of it was because of the power of my new machine. I'm calling them "organic" and going with it. It will still keep my dad cozy, even if not particularly straight! I think I need to start actually marking quilting lines, but my lazy side tends to win out. Oops.

I hope my dad loves it!

Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment