Tuesday 23 April 2013

A Note on Finishing

95% of learning about quilting I do online. There is so much you can learn from the amazing world of modern quilting blogs. I read a ton of the them, and love them because they are like eye candy and because I learn so much. I can't, however, remember where I learned about easy-thread needles and burying threads. I think there was a You Tube video about it?

When I FMQ,  I always have threads that come from where I stop and start. The more stops and starts (the more complex the quilting) the more threads there are. I used to just snip them close to the quilt. No longer! For about six months I have been burying my threads using easy-thread needles.

Here is Comma Sutra, all quilted:
Straight-line on the white sashing, FMQ stippling/swirls in the blocks

Easy-threading needles. It makes it so simple to bury the threads.
I find this method very sturdy and a great finished look but very, very time consuming. And that is where I am with Comma Sutra- slowly burying each and every thread. But then binding is next- this quilt might even get done this week!

Lynn (aka Buttons)

6 comments:

  1. Leah Day has a video on those needles, that's who I picked up using them from, anyway - they're fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the tip. I have had the same issue with stray threads, but not anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I never knew these existed.. I'll have to give this a try! Thanks for the tip!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a longarm quilter, I use these needles everyday and couldn't live without them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing about these needles! They would make burying the threads so much easier. And I love how you used that Comma fabric in your quilt -- and what a great name!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also picked up this method from Leah Day, it is faster and smoother than my old method!

    ReplyDelete