Wednesday 7 January 2015

Baby Quilt in Progress

There is one baby due in January on my loooooong list of upcoming babies for whom I would like to make a quilt. I used the Ann Kelle owls as inspiration for this little boy quilt and I'm using a pattern from Quilty magazine because it makes an attractive- but fairly simple and quite small- baby quilt. If I have to crank out six quilts in the next while then I better choose my patterns wisely!

This was the result of a day of cutting on New Year's Day:
I love how the navy, lime and yellow play together. Recognize any fabric? Several Cotton+Steel fabrics, some Quatrefoil and those fun chevrons from V&Co. Oh, and my favourite Bonnie & Camille print (those blue scallops) which I am also going to use for the binding. All of this fabric came from my stash.
I managed also to get the sashing cut last week and I got it all laid out so I could see how I was going to actually assemble it. (Note the Christmas tree in the corner...it has since been put away, thank goodness. Now the dining room can be used for what it is meant to be- sewing, of course!).
Getting the rows picked up to assemble was a bit tricky because of the stacked blocks within each row, but I sewed those together and then stacked the rows which helped. Now each row is assembled and it is time for sashing!
While out on a little shopping trip with my quilty friend A, I bought enough of those owls to make up the entire back in one print. This should be fairly simple to quilt...if I can decide how I want to quilt it! And hopefully the baby will have it either when or shortly after he arrives!

My next task once this quilt is all done is to get on the FMQ of that orange and beige (weirdest combo ever) baby quilt I was working on in December. 

I wish that instead of going to work- in crazy -30C weather- I could stay home all day and quilt. I wonder if my employer would agree to continue to pay me while I do that? :) 

Lynn

3 comments:

  1. It's -30 here today with wind chill, and I was leaving for work at 7am I thought exactly the same thing! Love your baby quilts, they are gorgeous. Lucky little babies...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your quilt!!! I think the pattern I just did was the same, but I got it off of Craftsy. Can't wait to see it all put together! Do you know how you're going to quilt it yet? I'm stumped on mine :-(

    ~ Jess ~
    Everything Is Coming Up Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are too good to make quilties for all those babies on the way... I always say that a baby needs a quilt! Love that colour selection... I would have based my pull on those Ann Kelle owls too. I have that in a different colour pathway (and a Christmas version!). But then again, you probably would have guessed that!

    ReplyDelete