Friday 30 January 2015

Hoot: A Finished Quilt

One of the first baby quilts on my very long January-March baby quilt list was for a co-worker who was expecting his second son in early January. Baby H arrived on January 6th, but I delivered the quilt on January 23rd which was the first time I saw him in the new year.

The pattern comes from an issue of Quilty magazine and I chose it because it looks beautiful and complicated but is actually a very straight-forward pattern that turns out a fairly small (and therefore more practical for the mass production I have to do) quilt.

Here is Hoot (named such because of the Ann Kelle owls on which the colour scheme is based):
These fabrics are all from my stash. There is Quatrefoil in Navy and Yellow, some V&Co. chevrons in lime, Bonnie and Camille and a bunch of Cotton+Steel from their basics line (which is to die for).
I did a simple meandering stipple because I wanted it to be fast- and it was! I had no issues, other than running out of bobbin part way through (which I try to avoid doing in the middle of the quilt!)
I used Aurafil white and got this done in two short sessions of FMQ.
The backing is more Ann Kelle owls, but in a different colourway. I meant to purchase the same fabric (with only the green, blue and yellow) but the store I went to only had this version, so I didn't mind too much because it is the backing.
Sweet owls.
I used all one print because it just makes sense to avoid piecing on a smaller quilt like this one.
Those owls are adorable and will hide many sins, I think. :)
I used a Bonnie and Camille print that I love to use as binding because those little scallops look so good on the edge. I think it really finishes off this quilt perfectly.
Bonnie and Camille Happy Go Lucky scallops in navy.
The dad absolutely loved the quilt (and was totally surprised) and apparently his wife also loved it and Baby H totally approves.

Linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts Finish It Up Friday!

Lynn

7 comments:

  1. Like the look of this quilt. Do you know which issue of Quilty? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the owl fabric in this fun quilt!. I agree with your binding choice, perfect! How nice of you to make a special quilt for your co-worker. Great job! Enjoy your creative day! ~ Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute baby quilt! I love the owl fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your fabric choices. A beautiful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I love this little quilt! Do you remember which Quilty magazine? I'd love to make this quilt.

    ReplyDelete