Monday 1 October 2012

Who Sets the Rules?

It is October. I love October...gorgeous fall weather, new sweaters, Thanksgiving (yum, turkey!) and my daughter's birthday. This October, however, I have vowed to go on a fabric fast. I've already broken into a cold sweat (it started earlier in the week) and I'm already having challenges to my fast that lead me to wonder what counts as breaking the rules.

Before I share the challenges that have emerged, let me confess that I bought fabric on September 29. I compare it to a smoker having one last cigarette before giving up the habit. I ordered this delicious fat eighth bundle of Riley Blake Small Chevrons from Westwood Acres fabric shop on etsy. I have been coveting them and the thought of waiting until November to order them horrified me (and no, I have no idea what I will do with them. Why would you even ask that?).


Now for the challenges to my resolve:

For one, I already decided that my Sew Sisters Kona Solids FQ of the Month Club is still okay because it is a subscription. My husband tried to convince me that if I was really serious I would also cancel/pause the subscription, but I thought that was taking it too far. Right?

The second challenge was still technically in September. A new line of fabric, Simply Color from V & Co. has been speaking to me since pictures were released of it. I pinned it on Pinterest THREE TIMES without even noticing, that is how much I love it. I had set a notice at Fat Quarter Shop to notify me when the fabric came in. And it did. And I ordered my first ever layer cake. But it won't arrive until October. That doesn't count, right?

Finally the third challenge came on September 30. Early in September I was the maid of honour in a wedding for a lifelong friend. She gave out gifts to all her bridesmaids, but in the hustle and bustle of the morning misplaced mine (I was too busy getting her into her dress to worry about presents!). On the 30th she and her husband came over for dinner and brought my thank you gift- a very large gift certificate for The Hobby Horse, a quilting store near my home. So here is the big dilemma- is it cheating to buy fabric in October if it is with a gift certificate rather than my own money? After all, she meant to give it to me September 8 so I would have had 3 weeks to spend it before my fast. Or am I just trying to justify fabric shopping in a month I said I wouldn't? 

In my heart I know I should not use it. It will still be good in November. And I did just buy more fabric at the end of September. And I don't need fabric. At all. Not any. Sigh.

October, you're going to be rough on this fabric-addicted new quilter. 

Lynn (aka Buttons)

1 comment:

  1. Right, Right, Doesn't count. Good luck and don't let C know.

    ReplyDelete