Monday 13 May 2013

Thank You Quilt

My daughter will be finishing her first year at school- Junior Kindergarden- this June. I thought that a nice thank you gift for her teacher would be a quilt, and I knew just the fabric to use. I had two charm packs of Kate Spain's Good Fortune and a charm pack of Kona White, plus the teacher's name is Kate. Perfect, right? I let my daughter pick the backing when some Kate Spain Good Fortune yardage went on sale (shockingly she chose a purple).
I cut all the charms in half and then sewed them back together with one white and one pattern. Around the outside of the quilt will be whole charm squares.

I chain pieced the blocks which meant that it went pretty fast, fortunately.

Chain piecing speeds things up and there is so little wasted thread.
Now I have to actually assemble the quilt top. I am anticipating issues and I am not even sure why. Wish me luck!

Lynn


4 comments:

  1. A cute idea, I am anxious to see the finished quilt. And how appropriate that your daughter chose the backing. You are a clever mom! Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect gift. I love that your daughter chose the backing. I can't wait to see the rest of the quilt. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some quarter and half yards of Good Fortune to make one of my daughters a quilt. Oooh, now you got me to wanting to sew with it : ) Looking forward to seeing your finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely idea. Her teacher is very lucky!!

    ReplyDelete