Monday 3 March 2014

Big Baby

A work friend is expecting her first baby this April and I got to working on her quilt right away. Originally I was going to use a quilt kit I had in progress and then I decided that she needed classier fabric. I used a Luxe in Bloom quilt pattern from quilt dad to create this quilt.

I love how the colours work together.
The quilt is much, much bigger than I had intended. I can't look at the dimensions of a quilt on a pattern and understand what that will actually translate into. I'm terrible at estimating finished size. I'm glad baby will get a quilt that should last him a while, though!

I chose a Robert Kaufman Up Up and Away fabric from my stash for the backing. I didn't have enough so I added stripes of Kona Artichoke (my favourite green Kona).
Cute, right?
All the while I was working on the backing, I was dreaming about cutting into my next quilt because it meant untying a jelly roll of Architextures. Isn't the roll so delicious?
Jelly rolls are practically decorative.
Here is a shot of the basting of this big baby quilt. I really need a name for the quilt. Hmmmm. Any suggestions?
I hate basting!!!
I have already free motion quilted it in a random stipple and now I just need to choose the binding fabric. Wish me luck!

Lynn

2 comments:

  1. Very cute quilt. I hate naming quilts too. My husband suggests either Tulip Festival or Dutch Pride. I was thinking maybe Follow Your Arrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very classy. Lucky baby. Perhaps Arrows in flight to reflect both the fabrics.
    Cheers Pauline

    ReplyDelete