Sunday 6 January 2013

Improv Scrap Piecing by a Kindergartener

Late in the afternoon on a sleepy, last-day-of-holidays Sunday, my four-year-old announced "I want to sew a quilt." I am a pretty relaxed mom (I wait for her to react before I respond to potential injuries, for example) but putting my sweet JK kiddo in front of a sewing machine seems a tad dangerous. I didn't want to discourage her interest, though, so I let her pick out scraps and improv piece the quilt she wanted for her Cabbage Patch doll, Ginger.

I also let her pick some flannelette for the backing and made a binding-less quilt in about 30 minutes.


The resulting quilt
I decided to take the opportunity to also play with some free motion quilting. Some had good results. Others? Oh heavens, terrible.


Raindrop quilting- not too bad.



Pebble quilting- horrific. I need to actually research what I'm doing before I try something like this "for real."



Walking foot, 3" stitch length using my "21" stitch, a wave. Love it. I'll be using this one for sure!



Polka-dot flannelette backing



Lalaloopsy enjoying the new quilt
My daughter was certainly fearless in her fabric selection (they all came from my "warm" scrap bin, in case you were wondering) and she loves it. Maybe I need to play with some improv piecing myself!

Lynn (aka Buttons)

1 comment:

  1. Lovely little scrap quilt! Great way to practise your freehand quilting. Maggie xx

    ReplyDelete