I decided that for the quilting of the outside of the bag, I would use my walking foot and just echo the squares (no need for extra pattern here!). Here is what the back looks like:
The lining of the bag is a navy solid, and I thought this was the perfect opportunity to get some free motion quilting practice. I knew I was going to use a navy thread, and since it is the lining and colour-on-colour my errors would not stand out too much.
Here is the completed first panel of lining:
This picture makes the colour seem much lighter than it is- it is actually a very dark navy. I tried a meandering technique and found that though I wasn't too bad at pace and keeping my stitch length pretty uniform, my actual patterning needs some work. For a better shot, here is the back:
All the pointy parts are where I lost my "flow" and I have certainly discovered that when you have flow the FMQ goes great, and when you don't you get weird patterns. I don't think it is all that bad, but I will definitely hold off quilting an actual quilt where the stitches are supposed to show.
Also, as with my other FMQ experiences, here is what I encountered when my movements were too jerky:
I know that is totally my fault, and I really need to work on it.
The second half of the lining went much better; I had my flow going and was warmed up from the first panel. Part way through, however, I had this problem:
Blast! Out of thread! I was using some navy thread I have had since I started sewing and wanted to use it up, but not before I was finished quilting! I went through my supplies (no way was I making a trip to the store for this) and found a slightly darker navy:
|Ran out of 278, switched to 280|
Now both the lining and front/back are fused and quilted. I'm making progress!
Lynn (aka Buttons)