Monday 13 August 2012

HST QAL: May Block

One step forward, two steps back?

I recently joined the HST Quilt Along at In Color Order, with the prime purpose of increasing my skill base. I have been thoroughly enjoying the process, and am moving through blocks fairly quickly.

I got started on my May block with some excitement. My piecing has been improving and I thought this was a chance to get even better.

I picked my fabrics (all from the Outfoxed fabric line, except the white-on-white) and made my HSTs.


Looking at the finished version of Jeni's May block,
Photo courtesy of In Color Order
I decided to audition two different combinations for this block.


Which one do you like better? The thing is, I felt really sure when I decided to go with the brown centre, but as I write this post I am less sure. The orange centre does look pretty good.  My March block had an orange centre, though, so I think I made the right call.

Here is the finished block:

And here is where I get to my  "one step forward, two steps back" comment. My piecing did not go as well on this one, despite what I thought was careful adherence to seam allowance and pinning. Where did I go wrong? I feel like assembling my rows goes fine but then when I attach two rows together my seams don't look right (and yes, I pressed the seams in opposite directions, and yes, I pinned right through the seams in straight lines). Any tips or suggestions for this step?

I still love the HST QAL, though, and have my fabric picked for the June block!

Lynn (aka Buttons)

No comments:

Post a Comment